History

of Our Church

Located in Northern Allegan County, Michigan, St. Mary’s Visitation Church is perched majestically upon a hill. It is surrounded, as it has been for almost 100 years, by rolling farmland and a rural personality. More than a century ago, the New Salem area was settled by German immigrant farmers who established St. Mary’s Church in 1866.

  • In 1908 using volunteer labor and making the blocks one-by-one on site, they laid the cornerstone of the present-day building.
  • In 1981,St. Mary’s merged with Visitation Church of North Dorr, about 2 miles northeast, and became St. Mary’s Visitation (SMV).
  • In 1989, a long-awaited dream was realized with the completion of a seven-classroom school. Offering preschool through 6th grade, SMV is an accredited school and works closely with Hopkins Public School district to ensure that the children receive a well-rounded education.
  • In addition to formal education, SMV is committed to enriching the faith of both children and adults through our CCD, Youth Group & RCIA programs, and also our Sunday & Wednesday bible studies.
  • Our beautiful church was renovated in 2003 inside and out and air- conditioning was added. We have also improved our handicap access.

 

CENTENNIAL NEWSLETTER

1908-2008
 

HISTORY BOOK ORDER FORM

SMV parish history committee has put together a book that was release in 2014.  There are less than 30 copies left.  Order your copy today before they are all gone!

 

 

 

Humble Beginnings

 

SMV Under Construction

Cornerstone laid 1908

Blocks constructed one-by one on site by hardworking German Immagrant farmers